Saturday 26 November 2011

A Day Exploring Port Credit Parks

For a long while Teena and I have been talking about hopping on a Go Train and heading to Port Credit for a day. It is a cute town located where the Credit River empties in Lake Ontario. Today, that's what we did.

It was a cloudy day but not too cold for November. We figured this might be the last decent day to do this. We arrived just after 3:00 and walked the shoreline to J.C. Saddington Park. After exploring the park, we then explored the town.

Apparently Port Credit got its name from a trading post that was located here which allowed credit to its customers. I don't know how true that is but I like it!

What I found interesting is that the breakwater to the harbour is not a wall but a ship. The Ridgetown was emptied of all its fuel, filled with stone and on June 21, 1974, sunk at the entrance of the harbour. You can still see the cabins and smokestacks.

Friday I bought a new camera so and had a great day getting to know it. You may see some difference in the quality of my shots as I tried different features.

Here is our day in pictures.
***
The shoreline views east if the harbour.

Snug harbour. Now that it's fall, the boats are gone.

Toronto as shot from the west side of the harbour. I had to see what the new camera could do so zoomed in on the restaurant of the CN Tower about 20KM (12 miles) away. It's a little blurry as I should have used a tripod.

Teena enjoying the view

Across the harbour, we could hear accordion music. This fellow played for hours but was in a secluded spot so I think he was playing for his own enjoyment and not for change.

Not a sign one would expect to find in an urban area.

Some other shots of our walk. It was a great afternoon!

No comments: