Thursday 2 June 2011

Digging Toronto's Past, Second Update

I originally wrote about a dig I walk past daily on King by Bathurst on May 22 and then did a short update on May 26. Since then I have discovered just a couple of things.

I was speaking to a worker who is working on the construction site but is not part of this archaeological dig. He told me that it is thought that these are the foundations of a building from around 1855. Very cool. I have been trying to confirm this but with no luck. I will keep pressing on.

This evening the gate to the construction site and to the dig were open so I went in for closer pictures. I wondered how deep the well or cistern was and still don't know. I do know it still works. It rained hard on Sunday night and when I looked down I saw it went down about 3 feet (1 meter) before it hit the water line. How deep the water goes down I don't know.

Here is another, closer view of the site. It seems more foundations are coming into view.

A view I never shot before, closer looking northwest.

Looking through the green fence. There seems to be more flags. It should be interesting to see how this proceeds.

2 comments:

Teena in Toronto said...

Very cool!

Faye said...

I have been walking by daily. So excited to see what they find. I havent found anyone else commenting on this yet. How amazing is it that this was found under a parking lot.