Monday 5 October 2009

Clock Tower Brewpub Byward Market Ottawa.

Saturday night after my competition, I hit the pool area and had a long welcome soak in the hot tub before heading into the Byward Market area in search of the Clocktower Brewpub.

I had first heard of the Clock Tower on The Lord of the Wings blog. He reviewed the ClockTower's wings (from the Bank Street location). My focus, of course, is the beer.

It was only 7 o'clock and already the place was jammed. I was told I would have to wait for a table or sit at the bar. Not a tough choice as I wanted a spot at the bar so I could talk to the barkeep about the beer. The only problem was he was far to busy with the packed house to talk, though he did ensure that I was looked after well. Line-ups kept forming at the door during my time there. It's a hugely popular spot!

My first pint was the Wishart's Bitter, labeled an ESB, which they describe as a "Traditional English-style esb, copper-coloured & extremely drinkable; floral hop aromas supported by a malty profile to balance this classic style."

When I first tasted it, I was blown away. It was as close to perfection as a beer could be. It was beautifully hoppy but not over the top, a terrific well-balanced beer that now posed a problem for me. I went in wanting to try a variety of their beer and now would be content to just have the ESB for the rest of the night and take a few growlers home.

But sticking to plan, I ordered supper and a different beer, the Fenian Red. It has a nice reddish colour to it and a great malty taste, again wonderfully balanced by the hops which lend a little bitter bite to the malt. I enjoyed this beer.

I ordered the Cuban Pork Sandwich (pork loin & prosciutto on crusty bread with swiss cheese, mustard & pickles) and fries for supper as I knew that wings would not be enough. The dijon mustard overpowered the sandwich, making me wish that I had ordered the Chicken Alfredo Pasta instead.

I finished with another Wishart's Bitter. My opinion of it had not changed. I was disappointed that they didn't have bottles or growlers to go. Three beers and supper came to $26 plus tip. Great deal!!!

As I left, my spot was quickly grabbed by someone lined at the door.

This is a place I would definitely recommend. It was nice, clean, well-set up and, overall, a great experience. On my next trip to our nation's capital, I will be hitting this place again.

2 comments:

Teena in Toronto said...

Can't wait to check it out!

Lord of the Wings said...

Thanks for the link!

The market location for the Clocktower is super busy and I'm glad you found some good beer!!!

Sorry for the late reply, I'm playing a lot of catchup!