Sunday 18 May 2008

Steam Whistle Pilsner

Most companies try to have a slogan that may be easily remembered but not always true. Steam Whistle Brewery's motto is not only catchy but also very true: "Do one thing really, really well".

Steam Whistle brewery only makes one beer, Steam Whistle Pilsner and in my mind is not only one of the best beers in Canada, but can rival any pilsner in the world. It is bottled in an old fashioned heavy green bottle which gives it some added charm.

It is all natural, using only the 4 main ingredients, spring water, malted barley, hops and yeast. The beauty of drinking an all natural beer is that without all the chemicals, you can have a few and still feel good the next day.

The beer is sour and fresh like a Pilsner should be. Pilsner is a pale lager, developed in the 19th century in the city of Pilsen, Bohemia and uses extra hops. Hops contain several characteristics favorable to beer, balancing the sweetness of the malt with bitterness. In this case the extra hops creates a beautifully balanced beer with a bite.

Big brewery beer now has very little character. I remember back when I was young and my dad would send me to the fridge to get him a beer. I would crack it open and smell it's delicious aroma. That doesn't happen with big brewery beer now, but as Teena can attest to, when I open a Steam Whistle, this nostalgic aroma come back to me. I always point this out to her, which over the years has her rolling her eyes more and more.

The Brewery started in March of 2000 in Toronto. Good things always happen in my birthday month and this is sure one of them.

No comments: